Why You Shouldn’t Wait to Implement CMMC
What is the CMMC? The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) is a framework that provides guidance for implementing cybersecurity best practices across the Department of Defense (DoD) supply chain.
The CMMC was developed in response to the growing threat of cyber attacks against the DoD and its contractors. The goal of the CMMC is to improve the cybersecurity posture of the DoD supply chain by requiring contractors to implement specific cybersecurity controls and processes.
Here are some reasons why you shouldn’t wait to implement CMMC certification:
- The CMMC is mandatory for all DoD contracts. If you want to do business with the DoD, you must be certified under the CMMC. There is no way around it. Waiting to implement the CMMC will only put you at a competitive disadvantage.
- The CMMC will improve your cybersecurity posture. The CMMC contains best practices for cybersecurity that, if implemented, will improve your overall cybersecurity posture. Implementing the CMMC will help you protect your systems and data from cyber attacks.
- The CMMC will give you a competitive advantage. As mentioned above, the CMMC is mandatory for all DoD contracts. This means that contractors who are already certified will have a competitive advantage over those who are not. Getting certified early will help you win more business.
- The CMMC will save you money in the long run. Investing in cybersecurity can be expensive, but it is worth it in the long run. Implementing the CMMC now can help you avoid costs associated with data breaches and system failures.
- The CMMC is consistent across all DoD suppliers. Unlike other cybersecurity frameworks, such as NIST SP 800-171, the CMMC is consistent across suppliers to the DoD. This means that once you have been certified under the CMMC, your certification will be transferable to any other DoD supplier.
- The CMMC helps your business comply with regulations like GDPR and HIPAA. The requirements of the Cybersecurity Act of 2015 overlap with many regulatory standards like GDPR and HIPAA. By implementing the CMMC, you can ensure that your systems and processes are compliant with these regulations.
- The CMMC will help you stay ahead of evolving cyber threats. The security landscape is constantly changing, and new threats are emerging every day. By implementing the CMMC, you can stay ahead of these evolving cyber threats and protect your systems and data from attack.
- The CMMC emphasizes the importance of cybersecurity training for employees. One of the core components of the CMMC is employee cybersecurity awareness training. Implementing the CMMC will require that you invest in cybersecurity training for all employees, which can significantly reduce the risk of a successful cyber attack against your business.
Overall, there are many good reasons why businesses should not wait to implement the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification. The CMMC is mandatory for all DoD contracts, and it will give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace. Implementing the CMMC will also help improve your cybersecurity posture, save you money in the long run, and help you stay ahead of evolving cyber threats. So if you want to do business with the DoD and stay protected from cyber attacks, it is essential that you implement the CMMC now.